History of Tokyu Corporation
|Tokyu Corporation began with the establishment of Meguro Kamata Electric Railway in September 1922.
In October 1939, the company changed its name to Tokyo Yokohama Electric Railway, and in May 1942, during the war, it merged with Keihin Electric Railway (now Keihin Electric Express Railway) and Odakyu Electric Railway under the Land Transport Business Coordination Law and changed its name to the current Tokyu Corporation.
In May 1944, Keio Electric Railway (now Keio Electric Railway) was also merged into the company, marking a period of time known as the Great Tokyu Era.
After the war, Dai-Tokyu was dismantled and Odakyu Electric Railway, Keio Electric Railway, and Keihin Electric Express Railway were spun off as independent companies in 1948.*The 8000 Series operated on all Tokyu lines from November 1969 to February 2008.
|Series 8000 (Model: O Gauge)|
|November 1923.||The entire line between Meguro and Kamata stations on the Meguro Line is opened to traffic.|
|December 1929.||All lines between Oimachi and Futakotamagawa stations on the Oimachi Line are opened to traffic.|
|Mar 1932.||The entire line between Shibuya and Sakuragicho stations on the Toyoko Line is opened.|
|October 1934.||Meguro Kamata Electric Railway merges with Ikegami Electric Railway (Ikegami Line).|
|Apr 1938.||Tokyo Yokohama Electric Railway merges with Tamagawa Electric Railway (Tamagawa Line).|
|October 1938.||Meguro Kamata Electric Railway merges with Tokyo Yokohama Electric Railway.|
|October 1938.||Meguro Kamata Electric Railway changes its name to Tokyo Yokohama Electric Railway.|
|May 1942||Keihin Electric Railway and Odakyu Electric Railway merge and change name to Tokyu Corporation.|
|July 1943||The Oimachi Line will begin service to Mizonokuchi Station.|
|May 1944||Merged with Keio Electric Railway Co.|
|Mar 1947||Enoshima Electric Railway leaves the Tokyu Group.|
|June 1948||Odakyu Electric Railway, Keio Teito Electric Railway (now Keio Electric Railway), and Keihin Electric Railway (now Keihin Electric Express Railway) spin off.|
|October 1963.||Renamed the Oimachi Line to the Denentoshi Line.|
|May 1969||The Tamagawa Line (track line) between Shibuya and Futakotamagawaen (now Futakotamagawa) Station is discontinued. The remaining section between Sangenjaya and Shimotakaido is renamed the Setagaya Line (track line).|
|August 1979||Commencement of mutual direct service between the Denentoshi Line and the Shin-Tamagawa Line in conjunction with the start of mutual direct service with the Hanzomon Line of the Eidan Co. The former Oimachi Line section is re-divided from the Denentoshi Line as the Oimachi Line.|
|August 2000||The Megumi Line> will be divided into the Meguro Line “Meguro-Tamagawa-Musashikosugi” station and the Tokyu Tamagawa Line “Tamagawa-Kamata” station along with the double-double track between Tamagawa and Musashi-Kosugi stations on the Toyoko Line. The Denentoshi Line between Futakotamagawa and Chuorinma stations and the New Tamagawa Line between Futakotamagawa and Shibuya stations will be merged into the Denentoshi Line and the New Tamagawa Line will be renamed and discontinued.|
|September 2000||The train will begin direct service with the Meguro Line, the Eidan Namboku Line and the Toei Mita Line. (Sep. 26)|
|January 2004||The line between Yokohama and Sakuragicho stations on the Toyoko Line will be discontinued as a result of the start of direct service between the line and the Yokohama Rapid Transit Minatomirai Line. (Jan 31)|
|Jun 2008||The Meguro Line will be extended to the Musashi-Kosugi and Hiyoshi Stations in conjunction with the completion of the double-double track construction between Musashi-Kosugi and Hiyoshi Stations on the Toyoko Line.|
|Jul. 2009||The Oimachi Line will be extended to the Futakotamagawa-Mizonokuchi Station in conjunction with the completion of the Denentoshi Line double-double track construction between Futakotamagawa and Mizonokuchi.|
History of Tamaden
|The Tamagawa Line (Tamaden ) started service in 1907 on a track line between “Shibuya and Futakotamagawaen”. At that time, its main purpose was to transport gravel from the Futakotamagawa (Tama River) area to central Tokyo.
Later, in September 1920, the track width was changed from 1,067mm to 1,372mm to allow direct operation of freight trains carrying gravel to the Tokyo Municipal Electric Railway Bureau (Tokyo City Tram).
In 1924, the line between “Futakotamagawaen and Kinuta Honmura ( Kinuta Line)” started operation, and in 1925 , the line between “Sangenjaya and Shimotakaido (current Setagaya Line) ” started operation, with direct service between “Shibuya and Shimotakaido”. In 1927, the Nakameguro Line between Shibuya Bridge (Tengenji Line) and Nakameguro and the Mizonokuchi Line between Futakotamagawaen and Mizonokuchi were opened.
In 1934, a government ordinance banned all gravel mining downstream from Futago Bridge, and Tamagawa Electric Railway became mainly a passenger transportation company. 1938, Tamagawa Electric Railway was merged into Tokyo Yokohama Electric Railway, which was renamed Tokyo Kyuko Electric Railway in 1942, and then Meguro Kamata Electric Railway was merged into the present Tokyu Electric Railway. The predecessor of the current Tokyu Corporation was formed.
The entire Tamaden line was discontinued on May 11, 1969, except for a branch line between Sangenjaya and Shimotakaido, due to an urban plan to construct the Metropolitan Expressway No. 3 Shibuya Line and the New Tamagawa Line in one line above and below National Route 246 (Tamagawa-dori).
The New Tamagawa Line opened on April 7, 1977, and on August 6, 2000, the New Tamagawa Line was incorporated into the Denentoshi Line, becoming the current Sonotoshi Line from Shibuya to Chuorinkan Station, and at the same time Futakotamagawaen Station was renamed Futakotamagawa Station.
|Type 200(1/80 model)|
|Deha 200 type static preservation car|
The former Type 5000 is a famous car of Tokyu, of which 105 cars were manufactured from 1954 to 1959. (Railroad Line Cars)
The high-performance running equipment and nimble style that completely changed the image of trains took the world by storm. At a time when all-electric cars were the norm, the MT formation, which “incorporated an accompanying car without a motor,” was revolutionary at the time. It was nicknamed “Blue Toad” by passengers.
After about 30 years of operation, it was retired from all Tokyu lines in 1986, and part of it was transferred to Nagano Electric Railway and Gakunan Railway.The photo above left is Deha5001 which has been displayed in front of Hachiko at Shibuya station since October 2006. The bogie has been removed.
The lower left photo was removed on August 3, 2020 due to the large-scale redevelopment of the Shibuya station area, and was transferred to Odate City in Akita Prefecture, which has a connection with Hachiko, free of charge.
|Deha5001 cut model|
|August 3, 2020 Removal|
Train and Bus Museum
|Plate used on Meguro Kamata Electric Railway cars
The Meguro Line is the original line of the Tokyo Kyuko Line. Currently, the operating lines separate at Tamagawa.
Trains running 6.5 km from Meguro to Denenchofu are double-decked with the Toyoko Line and run together until Musashi Kosugi. This line is now called the Meguro Line.
The 5.6 km line from Tamagawa to Kamata is called the Tokyu Tamagawa Line, which is completely separated from the Meguro Line.The photo shows the plate of Kawasaki Sharyo Manufacturing Co.
|Plate of Kawasaki rolling stock made by Kawasaki Sharyo|
|Deha class 1 ( Meguro Kamata Electric Railway)
After the gauge was changed in September 1920, 15 cars of Deha1 class were built until 1924.
The Edamitsu class was manufactured by Edamitsu Iron Works, Tsurumi Wood Works, and Kamata Sharyo, and the Edamitsu class had front and rear doors, while the others had open decks. All of them have 10 side windows, but Edamitsu’s windows are 2×5 and the others are 3+4+3.
The bogie is Brill 76E1. It is equipped with double poles front and rear. It was scrapped in May 1969 when the Tamagawa line was closed down.
|Deha1 class(1/20 model)|
|Type Deha200 ( No.204)
The signature train of Tamaden (Tamagawa Line), which made a spectacular debut, was manufactured by Tokyu Sharyo Mfg. in 1955 with six trains of Deha 201 to 206, and was nicknamed “Pecochan”.
The main electric motors were newly designed with low terminal voltage and high rated speed for the regular use of the generator brake and for the reduction of the magnetic circuit, in accordance with the “50 horsepower output and 28 km/h rated speed” requirements of the track line. The main controller is an electric camshaft type resistance controller.
|Deha 200 type static preservation car|
|Deha 200 type ( single axle articulated bogie)
The Deha 200 class is a fixed two-car articulated train consisting of two car bodies joined by an articulated bogie.
The monocoque structure of the car body steel is made of high tensile strength steel and is based on the aircraft technology of the former Japanese Navy, resulting in a significant weight reduction.
The advantage of articulated bogies is that there is less back-and-forth motion during acceleration and deceleration, which improves riding comfort.
The 300 Series running on the current Setagaya Line has also inherited the fixed two-car articulated formation.
|The articulated bogie of Deha200 type|
|Type MOHA6||Deha 3600 type||Deha 60 type||Deha 80 type|
|Route map in 1928
This is the route map before the merger of Tamagawa Electric Railway, Tokyo Yokohama Electric Railway, Meguro Kamata Electric Railway, and Ikegami Electric Railway, but it is almost the prototype of the present one, although there have been abolitions and extensions.
The gauge between Sangenjaya and Shimotakaido on the Setagaya Line is 1,372mm.
The other Tokyu lines are narrow gauge ( 1,067mm) rail lines.
|1928 route map|
|Fare table in 1959
The first ride was 10 yen, but the fare between “Shibuya and Yokohama” station was 60 yen, which was six times more than the original fare.
In those days, you had to use the old-fashioned hard ticket and ask the station staff to insert the scissors at the ticket gate.
As of 2010, the fare is 120 yen for the first ride and 260 yen for the ride between “Shibuya and Yokohama” station, which is 2.2 times as much.
|Fare table in 1959|
|Nagatsuta Rolling Stock Works
In 1972, the Moto Sumiyoshi Plant moved to Nagatsuta and started as the Nagatsuta Machinery Office, which was renamed the Nagatsuta Rolling Stock Works in 1973.
The Nagatsuta Rolling Stock Works is responsible for the maintenance of all rolling stock for Tokyu Corporation and Yokohama Rapid Transit Railway.
For railcars on the Setagaya Line, which is a track line, bogies and electrical equipment are shipped to Nagatsuta, and Tokyu Techno Systems, which is located next to the plant, is in charge of modifications when car bodies are renewed or transferred to other companies. The location is adjacent to Onda Station on the Kodomonokuni Line.
Nagatsuta Inspection Car Park
The Nagatsuta Inspection District was established in 1979 when the Saginuma Inspection District was relocated to Nagatsuta.
|Nagatsuta Plant (Model)|
|It has a site area of 70081 square meters, with a maximum of 404 cars in detention and 18 detention lines. The lines it operates on are the Denentoshi Line, Oimachi Line, and Kodomonokuni Line. In addition to our own trains, the Tokyo Subway Hanzomon Line 8000 Series and 08 Series, and the Tobu Railway Isesaki Line 30000 Series and 50050 Series, which are in direct operation, are also detained. Also, it is in charge of receiving newly-built cars for all Tokyu lines. (except for the Setagaya Line)|
|Deha 600 class( 601F)
28 cars of Deha 600 class were manufactured until 1953. It was the main train of Tamagawa line at that time, but in 1969, the line was closed and the cars which had been remodeled to carry two passengers were scrapped.
The two-drivers (cabs on the coupling side) that were not remodeled were transferred to Enoshima Kamakura Kanko (now Enoshima Electric Railway) in 1970, renamed the 600 Series, and operated by Enoshima Electric Railway until 1990.
Deha601 is statically preserved in front of Miyanosaka Kumin Center in Setagaya Ward.
It is located in front of Miyanosaka Station on the Setagaya Line.
|Deha 600 series|
|Museum of Electric Trains and Buses
The Train and Bus Museum operated by Tokyu Corporation is located in front of the ticket gate of Miyazakidai Station on the Denentoshi Line. There are preservation and exhibition of train and bus related items, Tokyu Line HO gauge layout, train (Moha 510 and 8090 series) and bus driving, and an airplane (YS-11) simulator. The above photo was taken at our office.
Admission: 100 yen for adults (high school students and older), 50 yen for children (elementary and junior high school students)
Open: Weekdays and Saturdays 10:00-17:00, Sundays and national holidays 9:30-17:00
Closed: Mondays (or the following weekday if Monday is a national holiday) Year-end and New Year holidays (Dec. 29 – Jan. 3)
|Entrance of Train and Bus Museum|
Current Tokyu Corporation lines ( total kilometers: 104.9 km)
|Toyoko Line (between Tokyo and Yokohama)||Shibuya – Yokohama – Motomachi/China Town||24.2km||Yokohama Rapid Transit Railway Company (YRT) commissioned the operation of the Yokohama-Chukagai Station.|
|Meguro Line||Meguro – Hiyoshi||11.9km||The 5.4 km distance between Denenchofu and Hiyoshi stations is double-double track with the Toyoko Line.|
|Denentoshi Line (Tokyo-Tokyo Railway)||Shibuya – Chuorinkan||31.5km||–|
|Oimachi Line||Oimachi – Mizonokuchi||12.4km||The 2.0 km distance between Futakotamagawa and Mizonokuchi stations is double-double track with the Denentoshi Line.|
|Ikegami Line||Gotanda – Kamata||10.9km||–|
|Tokyu Tamagawa Line||Tamagawa – Kamata||5.6km||–|
|Kodomonokuni Line||Nagatsuta – Kodomonokuni||3.4km||Single track. Outsourced by Yokohama Rapid Transit Railway.|
|Setagaya Line||Sangenjaya – Shimotakaido||5.0km||A stand-alone line. Track lines.|
Direct service with other companies’ lines
|Toyoko Line (between Tokyo and Yokohama)||Yokohama – Motomachi/China Town||Tokyo Subway Fukutoshin Line, Yokohama Rapid Transit Minatomirai Line|
|Toyoko Line (between Tokyo and Yokohama)||Shibuya – Kotakemukaihara – Wako-shi||Tokyo Subway Fukutoshin Line (to be connected in 2012)|
|Meguro Line||Meguro – Akabane-Iwabuchi – Urawa Misono||Tokyo Subway “Namboku Line” Saitama Rapid Transit “Saitama Rapid Transit Line|
|Meguro Line||Meguro ~Nishi Takashimadaira||Toei Subway “Mita Line|
|Denentoshi Line (Tokyo-Tokyo Railway)||Shibuya – Oshiage – Minami-Kurihashi, Kuki||Tokyo Subway “Hanzomon Line”, Tobu Railway “Isesaki Line”, “Nikko Line|
|alignment||classification||obsolescent feature||Interval distance||date of abolition|
|Tamagawa Line||railroad track||Shibuya – Futakotamagawaen (now Futakotamagawa Station)||9.1km||Abolished on May 11, 1969|
|Tengenji Line||railroad track||Shibuya – Tengenjibashi||2.7km||Transferred to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government on March 10, 1948|
|Nakameguro Line||railroad track||Shibuya Bridge – Nakameguro||1.4km||Transferred to the Tokyo Metropolitan Government on March 10, 1948|
|unworked block of wood||rail line||Futakotamagawaen – Kinuta Honmura||2.2km||Abolished on May 11, 1969|
|New Okusawa Line||railroad track||Yukigaya (now Yukigaya-Otsuka) – Shin-Okusawa||1.4km||Abolished November 1, 1935.|
|Toyoko Line (between Tokyo and Yokohama)||rail line||Yokohama – Sakuragicho||2.0km||Abolished on January 31, 2004|
|Toyoko Line (between Tokyo and Yokohama)||rail line||Shibuya – Daikanyama||1.4Km||Discontinued on March 16, 2013 (above-ground station)|
|Hibiya Line (Hiroshima-North Okayama Railway)||rail line||Nakameguro – Kitasenju (Tokyo Subway Line)||(railway) switch||March 16, 2013: Discontinued (Tokyo Subway)|
Direct service with the Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin Line
|Fukutoshin Line Shibuya station||Tokyu Toyoko Line entrance track||Shibuya Station platform on the Fukutoshin Line|
|Tokyu Corporation has carried out a large-scale underground construction project between Daikanyama and Shibuya Stations in preparation for the direct interoperability between the Toyoko Line and the Tokyo Metro Fukutoshin Line starting on March 16, 2013. The current Shibuya station on the Toyoko Line will be abolished and connected underground to the Shibuya station on the Fukutoshin Line.
In order to make it possible for 10-car trains to stop between Nakameguro and Yokohama stations, the platforms at the limited express, commuter express, and express stations were extended. The photo was taken before the opening.
Tokyu Toyoko Line Yokohama Station derailment [ March 13, 1986].
|The last train of an express train (9000 series, 8 cars) from Moto-sumiyoshi to Sakuragicho derailed at Yokohama Station on the Tokyu Toyoko Line. No one was injured. The cause of the derailment was thought to be an imbalance in the wheel-weight ratio, which could not keep up with the sudden changes in load caused by passengers getting on and off the train.
Later, in the Hibiya Line Nakameguro accident, the same wheel-weight management as Tokyu and a new guardrail installation discrimination formula were established and adopted by all operators, but the then Ministry of Transport did not issue a warning to other operators at this point.
As a result, on March 8, 2000 (Heisei 12), there was a sharp contrast between the two. This was the Hibiya Line derailment and collision accident.
At that time, due to the wrong policy (constitution) of the management, the Eidan (now Tokyo Metro) did not install guards to prevent derailment, resulting in five deaths and 64 injuries at Nakameguro Station, the junction station with the Tokyu Toyoko Line. For more details, please click here.
Rear-end collision at Moto-sumiyoshi station on Tokyu Toyoko Line [ February 15, 2014].
|In the early morning of February 15, when the Tokyo metropolitan area was hit by heavy snow, a following train rear-ended a stopped local train. Tokyu Corporation held a press conference on the night of February 15, and indicated that the cause of the accident was that the heavy snow had reduced the braking force. The Automatic Train Control (ATC) system installed in the rear-end car, which automatically controls the speed of the train when it is approaching a vehicle in front, was working properly, the company said. The brakes were designed to stop the train by holding the wheels down with brake shoes, but it is believed that snow got in between the shoes and reduced the braking force. On the 14th, before the heavy snowfall, there were 10 overruns on the Toyoko Line, two of which occurred at the same station. The train that was rear-ended also overran by about 30 meters. The driver of the car that was rear-ended told the driver’s control center over the radio that the train was not slowing down. The car that was rear-ended was Y500 series (Yokohama Rapid Transit) Y516F formation.|